Friday, March 9, 2012

I'm your Huckleberry

“I’m your Huckleberry” is one of my favorite quotes delivered by Val Kilmer, as Doc Holiday, in the movie Tombstone.  Basically, “I’m your huckleberry” means “Name the place, and I’ll go with you,” “Name the job and I can do it,” “I’ll oblige you” or “I’m your man.”  Ok, as a single woman, this could be misconstrued I suppose if out of context, but I think I like it because I appreciate loyalty, friendship, being able to count on someone and being counted on and a really good one-liner delivered with ultimate coolness!


In our modern culture, "I'm your Huckleberry" can also be construed as an unveiled threat - kind of like Doc Holiday meant it. This could come in handy too.  Next time your preteen says, "You can't make me...", try "I'm your Huckleberry" and see the confused but slightly worried look that crosses his/her face.


But really, we should all be a huckleberry to someone and thank the good Lord for the huckleberries in our lives.  Life is short and sometimes really stupidly messing and isn't it great to have people in your life who will not only come running when the you-know-what hits the proverbial fan but also help you clean it up?  God bless them.  


When I think of this quote, I think of my grandfather, Gilbert Ross Schevers.  He raised a family after returning home from WWII.  Several times during this period in his life, he almost lost his life and it stuck with him.  He loved his God, his family, his country and doing the right thing.  On his death bed, he told me he most regretted all the boys that died whom he couldn't bring home after the Battle of the Bulge. I had the privilege of telling him that he honored them by how he lived his life.  I was better for it myself.


Yep, a real Huckleberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment